Affiliate of the Year
In 2012, the Knoxville Area Urban League earned the National Urban League Affiliate of the Year Award, recognizing Knoxville as one of the most accomplished affiliates in the country, leading by example with a 5 out of 5 on a performance review conducted by the National Urban League. The rigorous review assessed three key criteria: organizational soundness, organizational vitality, and implementation of mission.
Knoxville Area Urban League: Mission
OUR VISION is to be the recognized leader and premier non-profit organization in the greater Knoxville area promoting diversity, economic and social equity for all citizens.
OUR MISSION is to enable African Americans, other minority groups and the underserved to secure economic self-reliance, parity, power and civil rights.
- Diversity: We respect all people and value their contributions. We will actively work to serve and engage individuals from various backgrounds with different viewpoints, skills and talents.
- Integrity: We employ the highest ethical standards, demonstrating honesty and fairness in every action that we take. We hold ourselves accountable by documenting and reporting our performance and outcomes.
- Passion: We show pride, enthusiasm and dedication in everything we do.
- Customer Service: We are dedicated to satisfying customer needs and honoring our commitments. We demonstrate a consistently caring and knowledgeable attitude to every individual we serve.
- Self-Sufficiency: We believe that individual and family self-sufficiency is the ultimate goal of a strong, viable and growing community.
- Empowerment: We will empower our talented people to take the initiative and do what’s right.
- Teamwork: Our team members support each other’s efforts, are loyal to one another and care for each other both personally and professionally.
- Collaboration:We will work together, building relationships to create greater value and opportunities for the customers we serve and to make our community a better place to live, work and contribute.
View our Strategic Plan 2009-2014
The Knoxville Area Urban League
The Knoxville Area Urban League, an affiliate of the National Urban League, is dedicated to empowering communities and changing lives.
We believe that all Americans deserve an equal opportunity to achieve the American Dream, and we, along with other National Urban League affiliates, operate under the guidelines of The Opportunity Compact, a comprehensive set of principles and policies set forth by the National Urban League, focused on the following key areas:
We were founded at the height of the Civil Rights movement to promote equal opportunities for African-Americans in Knoxville, Tennessee. Today we serve more than 8,000 people each year: 75% – African American, 21% -Caucasian, 3% – Hispanic, and 1% – other.