Opportunity to Own
Every adult in America should have access to the financial security that comes from owning a home.
The Knoxville Area Urban League is a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved nonprofit counseling agency; in 1971, we became the first nonprofit in Tennessee to be designated as such. Today, our counseling program is recognized throughout the state for the goals and outcomes we achieve with our clients.
In 2008, we were one of 24 nonprofits selected by the Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA) to participate in the federally funded National Foreclosure Mitigation Counseling (NFMC) program enacted by Congress to provide counseling to homeowners facing foreclosure.
In 2009, the National Urban League designated the Knoxville Area Urban League as a Gold Star Homeownership Center. We were one of only eight affiliates out of 100 selected for this designation – the result of our 38 years of experience and performance as a HUD-certified housing counseling agency.
Our housing program has a twofold strategy to address areas that are relevant as the economy fluctuates – housing retention for those facing foreclosure and a housing market that is advantageous to buyers. Our courses improve financial literacy and family equity; prepare first-time homebuyers to make the most of the housing market; and provide foreclosure counseling to help clients keep their homes. We also mentor clients for long-term financial planning.
Housing and Community Development Programs:
- eHOME America – eHome America works with certified counseling agencies to help homebuyers and homeowners. The courses have been professionally created, reviewed by various agencies and certified by governing bodies. When taking a course, you will be connected with an agency you already are engaged with, or with an agency providing the requested service locally. Counselors will communicate with you as needed to complete the educational process and help with any additional needs. Most agencies will require a follow-up session before issuing the certificate of completion. We are proud to be a Certified eHome America Agency. Click on the following link for further information. http://www.ehomeamerica.org/thekaul
- Foreclosure Workshop – Housing Orientation sessions allow clients who are having challenges with their mortgage to learn more about options for foreclosure prevention. These sessions are typically the first step in the Urban League’s counseling process and are held on an as needed basis. Pre-registration is required, please email [email protected] for more information.
- Financial Education Course – This three-session workshop helps participants understand their spending habits and make wise spending choices in order to save money and meet long-term goals.
Housing programs are funded in part by:
- Affordable Housing Trust Fund (AHTF) of East Tennessee Foundation with support from the City of Knoxville
- Bank of America
- Clayton Family Foundation
- National Urban League
- State Farm Foundation
- Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA)
- United Way of Greater Knoxville
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
Housing Assistance for Those Impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic
the Knoxville Area Urban League is working with the the Knox Housing Assistance Program, a joint City of Knoxville/Knox County initiative aiding renters adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is open to income-qualified city and county renters where one or more individuals in the home have experienced one of the following adverse financial impacts at some point since March 13, 2020.
- Qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in income
- Incurred significant costs negatively impacting the financial stability of the household
- Experienced other financial hardship negatively impacting the financial stability of the household
Keep up to date on all opportunities by following us on social media and signing up for our email list!