Opportunity to Own
Every adult in America should have access to the financial security that comes from owning a home.
The Knoxville Area Urban League is a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved nonprofit counseling agency; in 1971, we became the first nonprofit in Tennessee to be designated as such. Today, our counseling program is recognized throughout the state for the goals and outcomes we achieve with our clients.
In 2008, we were one of 24 nonprofits selected by the Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA) to participate in the federally funded National Foreclosure Mitigation Counseling (NFMC) program enacted by Congress to provide counseling to homeowners facing foreclosure.
In 2009, the National Urban League designated the Knoxville Area Urban League as a Gold Star Homeownership Center. We were one of only eight affiliates out of 100 selected for this designation – the result of our 38 years of experience and performance as a HUD-certified housing counseling agency.
Our housing program has a twofold strategy to address areas that are relevant as the economy fluctuates – housing retention for those facing foreclosure and a housing market that is advantageous to buyers. Our courses improve financial literacy and family equity; prepare first-time homebuyers to make the most of the housing market; and provide foreclosure counseling to help clients keep their homes. We also mentor clients for long-term financial planning.
Housing and Community Development Programs:
- Home Ownership Workshop – Offers comprehensive education and counseling to prepare families who want to purchase a home. The workshops cover the details in selecting, purchasing, financing and maintaining a home. The workshop meets all requirements for FHA & THDA loans, and Down Payment Assistance from the City of Knoxville or Knox County. Classes are offered as a one-session workshop the first Saturday of the month from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Training fee is $99.
- eHOME America – eHome America works with certified counseling agencies to help homebuyers and homeowners. The courses have been professionally created, reviewed by various agencies and certified by governing bodies. When taking a course, you will be connected with an agency you already are engaged with, or with an agency providing the requested service locally. Counselors will communicate with you as needed to complete the educational process and help with any additional needs. Most agencies will require a follow-up session before issuing the certificate of completion.
We are proud to be a Certified eHome America Agency. Click on the following link for further information. http://www.ehomeamerica.org/thekaul
- Foreclosure Workshop – Housing Orientation sessions allow clients who are having challenges with their mortgage to learn more about options for foreclosure prevention. These sessions are typically the first step in the Urban League’s counseling process and are held on the first (11 a.m.-12 p.m.) and third (5-6 p.m.) Thursday of every month. Pre-registration is required.
- Financial Education Course – This three-session workshop helps participants understand their spending habits and make wise spending choices in order to save money and meet long-term goals.
Housing programs are funded in part by:
- Affordable Housing Trust Fund (AHTF) of East Tennessee Foundation with support from the City of Knoxville
- Bank of America
- Clayton Family Foundation
- National Urban League
- State Farm Foundation
- Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA)
- United Way of Greater Knoxville
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage